Saturday, May 13, 2006

A tale of 2 mothers (Part 1)

There are 2 important mothers in my life.One is my mother the other one is the mother to my daughter.With out them i wont be where I am right now. Both of them have sacrificed a lot for me and i am forever grateful to them.

My mother was born 54 years ago in a small village in Sarawak.My grandparents were only farmers so after completing her MCE she worked as a clerk in one of the Government Office's.Being the eldest it was my mothers responsibility in ensuring that my uncle and aunts recieved a good education.My mother first met my father during a rugby match in kuching.Their first meeting was quite funny,since my father broke his arm during that match and they only got together in the hospital.My father at the time worked with the airforce and was transfered to kuching.He was the chief engineer at the airforce base.My mother was born a catholic,most of my aunts and uncles are still catholics and a few of them have become muslims through marriage.

My parents got married in 1972, on Hari Wilayah. No big wedding, no bersanding.The akad nikah was done at the pejabat kadi.Even my grandparents in Johor didnt know about it.I "popped" into this world in 1975.According to my mother hidup I memang senang.Being a son of a high ranking officer came with its perks.Bungalow house, maid the whole package.Being the eldest had its advantages.Then my 2 sisters came along in 1977 and 1978. I guess I gave mak and abah a hard time during my late sekolah rendah till my university days.Abah being the strict one never tolerated my slackness and "dont care less" attitude.Abah after retiring from the airforce was busy with business and would only see him during weekends jer.Everything revolved around mak,dia lah kawan and dialah lawan.When there were disagreements between mak and me,harsh words do come out..biasalah darah muda,mak would just stay quite.When i think bank on those days regret memang ada.Mak is an excellent cook,minat and bakat tu i inherited.Mak would teach me all her recipes and i would observe her when she cooks. I also loved to do the cleaning.Those were the things that made mak proud agaknyer.

When I went off to the UK, I never missed my parents..the feeling was never there.Maybe cause i wanted that freedom so badly.During sekolah menengah and rendah me and my sisters followed a very strict schedule,it was like in the army..there were rules for everything.Now when i look back i realise why my father did it and i'm thankful for it.My father sent me to the UK to study Law.I never wanted to do it,I was more interested in communications.Mak tried her best to pujuk abah,but abah never gave in and the main reason was because he was paying for it.

When i started work,mak was always there to give me that extra cash to pay for petrol..toll and macam2 lagi.She would provide me bekal makan for lunch and breakfast.I felt like her little boy again.I guess mak felt that she was going to hilang her son when i told her i wanted to get married. I was her tempat mengadu..her driver..and also tempat nak mengumpat.I spent more time with my tunang which i guess made my mother jelous.I never saw that..i spent less and less time at home.

After I got married, i moved out of the house and was occupied with work.I never got to see much of mak.After Yasmin came out i made a point to atleast balik once a week,like they say "family is all you got".Duit boleh carik but family you cant buy it at a shop.I want my children to be close to their "tok mak" and "tok abah" i want my children to know that their "babah" has a great family.

Today is mothers day,my wife and 2 sisters have arranged a special lunch for mak.People say life is short so enjoy it.Mak and Abah wont live forever,my hope is that whatever time they have they enjoy it.Thank you mak for bringing me into this world,for tolerating my perangai for the past 31 years,teaching me whats right and wrong and reminding me (constantly) to be a good muslim and not to forget my tanggungjawab.





Yasmin & Tok Mak



Terima Kasih Mak

No comments: